Arpan is an award winning organization working hard to address the issue of child sexual abuse in India. Based in Mumbai, Arpan is the largest NGO in India in this specific area with over 50 social workers and counselors providing prevention and intervention services to children and adults. Over the last 10 years Arpan has reached out to over 150,000 children, adolescents and adults directly through its services of prevention and intervention and over 530,000 indirectly through training and capacity building of various stakeholders. Arpan’s key project is teaching children personal safety skills in schools so that they can identify and seek help in an unsafe situation. Arpan also empowers teachers, parents with knowledge, attitude, and skills to prevent and deal with child sexual abuse. Arpan aspires to reach out to millions of more children and adults to safeguard the innocent and vulnerable children and hopes to scale by building new engagement models with schools around the country.
We are now at an inflection point in our journey: In order to achieve our aspirations, we are developing two distinct verticals to support the organization. One focused on services delivery, and the other aimed at ensuring strengthened strategic communications with our various stakeholders.
JOB SPECIFICATION: Communications Manager
Proposed Immediate Superior: Director Fundraising & Communications
Director Fundraising & Communications
|3. Key Objectives of the Job
- Develop communications strategy for the organization in line with overall strategy, taking into account Board and funder requirements with the help of CEO
- Develop, train and manage a new dedicated organization vertical to execute Arpan’s communications strategy
|4. Major Deliverables
||The major responsibilities are:
- Manage stakeholder relationships and creating communication for each stakeholder category
- Networking & coordinating with leading national & local media as print, electronic, digital/social networking sites; for Arpan, its work, and the cause
- Marketing of all products & services of Arpan to strategic partners, national/ international forums
- Promote Arpan’s services to schools, pitch and convert schools to supporters of Arpan’s programs
- Manage & mentor the team member/s
- Plan, monitor and execute the Arpan events
- Monitor resources related work like Design, printing, and publications etc.
|5. Job Challenge
||The challenge is to manage multiple stakeholders and set up systems to manage communications to each category on a regular basis.
|6. Specialized job competencies
||Strong communications skills, with an ability to explain Arpans story in a concise manner across a diverse stakeholder setStrong project management skills, with a track record of successful execution of organizational/ department strategy
Demonstrated skills in building and leading a team.
|7. Educational Qualification
||MBA/PGDBM in Marketing & communications
|8. Desired Experience
||A combination of corporate experience and social sector work. Experience in child sexual abuse or psychology is NOT a requirement. Critical to have extensive experience in a mid-management role that is accountable for communications with an external group. Should have experience in running teams.
|9. Other desired attributes
||Ability to work in a small team; interested in setting up and building organizations for the long term